The C. Z. Culver House, Orange

A block from Old Towne Orange is a Queen Anne Victorian house that once served as an annex for the nearby Palmyra Hotel, a grand Victorian that attracted visitors to the growing agricultural region in the late 1800s. While the hotel didn’t survive, the C. Z. Culver House has been well maintained and carefully restored and is an elegant reminder of the building and ranching boom of the era.

Read More
Balboa Pavilion, Newport Beach

The Balboa Pavilion opened on July 4, 1906, and entertained throngs of beach-going city dwellers who traveled via the Pacific Electric Red Line to its southernmost stop. Designed by architect Fred R. Dorn, the Victorian public building played a major role in the development of Newport Beach and is one of California’s few remaining waterfront recreational pavilions from the early 1900s.

Read More
Elephant Packing House, Fullerton

Fullerton's Elephant Packing House is a reminder of Orange County's early agricultural roots, when citrus-packing plants were built near train tracks and depots to deliver locally grown fruit to the rest of the country.

Read More
Lisa Taylor
Pomona Court and Apartments, Fullerton

The Pomona Court and Apartments were built in 1922-1923, during a period when most Fullerton residents preferred single-family homes. The Craftsman-style courtyard unit and adjacent Spanish Colonial Revival represent two popular early 20th-century California architectural styles.

Read More
Krista Nicholds
The Edwards House, Orange

The two-story Craftsman home built in 1915 for State Sen. Nelson T. “Nels” and May Edwards was where President Herbert Hoover once dined during a re-election tour in 1931. The home’s interior features classic Craftsman wood built-ins and details.

Read More
Krista Nicholds
Mission San Juan Capistrano

Founded in 1776, Mission San Juan Capistrano is the seventh of California’s 21 famous missions. It received its nickname, the “Jewel” of the Missions, for its Great Stone Church, a then-modern marvel that took nine years to build and was completed in 1806. Six years later, a devastating earthquake left the church in ruins, which remained as a symbol of the community’s loss.

Read More