From Spurgeon Station to Spurgeon Building
March 1, 2019-- Known to Santa Ana residents as the “Clock Tower” building, the 1913 Spurgeon Building is the new home of Preserve Orange County. Property owner, Scott Ostlund, has given the organization an office in this national and local landmark, built by William Spurgeon, the first mayor of Santa Ana. Ostlund and his partners purchased the building in 2018 and began a large-scale rehabilitation effort soon after. In a sweet twist, POC board member and Santa Anan, Tim Rush, chaired the 1996 fundraising initiative that led to the restoration of the clock tower, prominent at the corner of 4th Street and Sycamore in DTSA.
Preserve Orange County began just over two years ago with a post office box at the Spurgeon Station, in downtown Santa Ana on Bush Street, also a special, historic building. We’ll miss our beautiful mail box- no. 145 pictured below- but thanks to the generous support of Scott Ostlund and Spurgeon DTOC, Preserve Orange County is moving confidently forward!